Time to decide between a Nigerian visa or passport. One means a temporary pass for a one-time event, the other could lead to a permanent pass for several memorable events to come. (You already know which one I'm leaning towards.)
So, then why the pause for decision? For some reason, carrying around two passports symbolizes dual-citizenship - something I've never considered before. But, with the present-day effects of globalization, I guess my mind has been opening up to the possibility - more specifically the possibility of continuing my career overseas. I mean, all the British actors are doing it: hopping over the pond to realize more of their potential. And what's more astounding is that the television and theatre producers let them keep their accents while they perform onstage in an American setting! Should I be given the opportunity to perform as an actor in Nigeria's Nollywood industry, I've definitely wondered what kind of an impact keeping my American accent might have on a particular film or TV series.
Now, consider the visa. It offers less possibilities because of its temporary term, but "preserves" my Americaness. Somehow, getting a second passport threatens to dilute my nationalism. These might be crazy thoughts, but I'm fascinated by the repercussions of purchasing one document over another...
Perhaps it's like the dilemma of the immigrant in America. After many years of living in the United States, when does he/she swear an oath of citizenship? Or do they just keep renewing their visa or greencard while clinging emotionally and physically to their native country?
Of course, the answer depends on the individual and what they plan to do with their future. However, the answer determines how society terms the individual. For instance, should I get the passport, it would put me in another category within the Black diaspora. I would no longer be just a first-generation African-American, but also an Afropolitan: a person of African descent who's a "mover and shaker" across more than one continent.
Back in August, when I began writing about this trip, I named it an "odyssey" because of the many places and adventures I would experience in Nigeria within 5 weeks. With recent news that the Nollywood and Hollywood industries are planning a future collaboration, I sense that the "odyssey" may become real in terms of me traveling the world to pursue my art.
It's funny how the world is getting smaller. One day, we won't need a passport to navigate it.
~ Odyssey
