The end of this summer has been an avalanche of exciting work! Below are some updates on what I've been working on:
MA' GEORGE
We had a fun wrap party just this past Tuesday for this upcoming feature film directed by Andrew Dosunmu. The cast includes YaYa DaCosta, Angelique Kidjo (one of my favorite female international musicians), Danai Gurrira (recent recipient of the 2011 Stavis Playwriting Award), and several fine actors who I felt privileged to be on set with. You can find out more about the film's history here. Africa Style Daily and Jamati Online have also done some beautiful articles on it. But my favorite piece is one by Aleim Magazine. There you can learn more about the director's unique background. Boy, when MA' GEORGE comes out on the film festival circuit, it's definitely going to make waves.
BENITO CERENO
I've been in rehearsal for the past month or so for this theatre production now showing at the Flea Theater in New York City. Loosely based on the story of the Amistad (with a slight twist to the ending), Benito Cereno was first produced in 1964 when the play's opening was so controversial Martin Luther King, Jr. personally came to New York to see it. I've been writing a little about my experience during the preparation process and you can find out more details on the show here. Tickets are only $18 and there's a sweet 2-for-1 deal while tickets last! (Enter the code bc241 at ovationtix.com).
THE COLORS OF LOVE
I'm crazy excited about this new TV show which will air on the MNN network, the largest public access cable network in the United States. In it, I play the role of "Toni" and this debut season is going to be gooooood. The show's creator is Crystal S. Roman and you MUST read about her work called the Black Latina Movement!
