Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Mom and Pops Share Some Funny Thoughts on Nigerian Cuisine



Last week, I sat down with my parents, Mr. and Mrs. Ade-Salu, at their home in Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn and we had a funny conversation about their thoughts on their favorite Nigerian dishes:

Mutiyat: So, Mommy, you obviously like to cook many different Nigerian meals. What are your favorite ones?

Mrs. Ade-Salu: My favorites are: whole wheat (because it has a lot of fiber and it digests faster than pounded yam, amala, and eba) and I love efo riro. You can use any kind of green leaf to make it. You put water on the stove, then clean and wash the dry fish, take out the bones, and add locusts beans. There 2 kinds of locusts beans. There is one they call tetteh, that one is well-fermented and it stinks! I don’t like it.

Mutiyat: (Laughs) What color is it?

Mrs. Ade-Salu: Uh…brown. It’s like mashed potato.

Mutiyat: Ok, and what about the other one?

Mrs. Ade-Salu: The other one is not like the tetteh. This one you can dry it, wash it, take off the sand (if there’s any), clean it very well and pour it in with the dry fish. It stinks, too, in a way, but not as bad as the one that’s fermented.

Mutiyat: And what is it called?

Mrs. Ade-Salu: Locust beans

(Dad chimes in.)

Mr. Ade-Salu: Hey, hey, you are talking English… The Nigerian word [for locust beans] is iru. The one that is soft and fermented, that is ogiri.

Mrs. Ade-Salu : Eh heh, that’s the one I wanted to say.

Mutiyat: Thank you Daddy, see? That’s why we have you here!

Mr. Ade-Salu: Iru is made from locust beans. Tetteh is a type of vegetable.  It’s a very delicious, green vegetable.

Mrs. Ade-Salu: Oh, I’m sorry. So you see I’ve been [in the America] for too long…So, anyway, you put everything together and if you like you can add any kind of meat: fish, chicken, anything. Personally, I like to make it without any meat, just dry fish.

Mutiyat: But, what do you put in it for seasoning?

Mrs. Ade-Salu: Uh, you can put anything in it, but really, efo riro doesn’t need a lot of seasoning.You’re gonna  boil it for hours and let it be soft. If you like, you can add stock fish. But if you want to add that, it should have been pre-boiled long time ago. So, once the water dries up a bit, you can add the ingredients [tomatoes, red pepper, onion]. You should chop these ingredients; it’s not going to be smoothly blended. You usually want to use very little oil. Personally, I like to use palm oil because it’s a vegetable oil, so it’s the best. Once you put the ingredients in, you add the maggi cube and the oil, and let it cook for sometime. Then, you get the vegetables and you stir it in.

Mutiyat: And how many hours does all of this take from beginning to end?

Mrs. Ade-Salu: Well, I would say two hours.

Mutiyat: Ok, now let’s look at three things you talked about. The first was whole wheat. Is that a Nigerian food?

Mrs. Ade-Salu: Yes. Actually in Nigeria now, they are extremely health conscious. They’ve realized now that they’ve been eating pounded yam, fufu, and eba for a long, long period of time and it’s causing them health hazards like diabetes. And they don’t have a way of curing diabetes over there. So now, people are eating whole wheat and beans, instead of iyan, iyan, iyan…Some parts of Nigeria they can eat iyan for breakfast, for lunch, for dinner…That’s too much carbohydrates.

Mutiyat: Are part of the health problems coming from the fact that people don’t work as physically as they used to? Nobody’ working on the farms anymore so thy can’t afford to be eating too much starch.

Mrs. Ade-Salu: Actually, they work out a lot because they do a lot of activities. They are very restless in Nigeria They move around a lot, but maybe not concentrating on their work out. All the wahala they’re doing, those people they are very restless. But the rate at which they eat their pounded yam is really, really alarming.

Mutiyat: Ok, the second thing I wanted to talk about was the locust beans. I remember when I was growing up, whenever you cooked locusts beans, in a way it smelled good, but it was also very stinky and it stuck to your clothes…and you know for an American child that can be embarrassing…but perhaps you are used to it. So how do people in Nigeria feel about the stinky kinds of foods, like goat meat and locusts beans…?

(Dad chimes in again.)

Mr. Ade-Salu: Stink? That’s the natural smell…

Mrs. Ade-Salu: Over there it’s natural to them.

Mutiyat: So when something is very, very fermented they’re not offended by the smell?

Mrs. Ade-Salu: No, they like it that way because that I their food.The more smashed it is, the more delicious it is. Some people don’t even use maggi cube, because that ogiri gives a special flavor.

Mutiyat: Alright, the third thing I wanted to ask you is about the time it takes to make these things. As an American child, I could get impatient when making Nigerian food. I think it takes too much time, too much effort, and you have other things in your day that you need to be taken care of, but somebody in Nigeria may be used to it. Are there people in Nigeria who complain about the times it takes to cook the food, or is it just a usual chore?

Mrs. Ade-Salu: Number one, it is part of their daily routine. They don’t feel anyhow. If you have a taste for a certain food, before you get real, real, hungry, you start preparing for the food. So, by the time the food is ready, they’reready to eat too. It’s just like here [in America] during Thanksgiving, people cook a lot of food. It’s the same way.

Mutiyat: But how does a woman balance cooking and working? Or is it that the person who does the cooking doesn’t work?

Mrs. Ade-Salu: That’s a very good question. That’s why we complain that America is too stressful. Like me for instance, I’m a social worker. I go to work and my work is extremely stressful and when I get home, I have to stand on my feet cooking. Here, you don’t have anybody helping you. It’s like I work round the clock. No driver, no housemaid, nothing. It’s killing. If I live in Nigeria, I will have a PA. That is Personal Assistant. I will give him my daily program of all that I want to do and he will be the one to execute them for me. So I will have time to focus on other things. In Nigeria, some people hire a cook. All they do is clean the house and cook for you. They can cook all the food you are going to eat for a week. You can imagine somebody who has a cook, a driver, and a PA. That’s many support systems right there. In the olden days, women had a houseboy and a housegirl.

For instance, I want to eat moin moin now, but for the sake of all the stress we’ve talking about, I’m not strong enough to stand on my feet and make it. I just wanna eat moin moin, with baked fish and my Silk milk. That’s enough for the day for me. But, unfortunately, I cannot make the moin moin now, because I’m already tired. I’m exhausted because of all the stress we’ve been talking about.

(Everyone laughs.)

Mutiyat: And Daddy, last words, what do you want to say about Nigerian food?

Mr. Ade-Salu: Nigerian food is very good. A lot of people have misconceptions about it. When you see Nigerian food, you can see that it’s well-balanced. Someone[an American] once told me, “ I never see you eating vegetables.” Where we get our vegetables is from the soup. Our soup has efo, tomato, red pepper, onion… so we get our vegetable. Some people think because they buy salad in the market, they’re the only ones eating vegetable! And our gira is our bread; it’s our carbohydrate. You also have eba which is from cassava and you have iyan which is from yam. Then, you have rice, you have whole wheat, you have elubo (which is another kind of yam) and amala, yet another form of yam. The red soup, you usually eat it in combination with the vegetable of your choice, such as okra, bitter leaf, or ewedu. It gives you a lot of variety, this way you don’t get bored!

Mutiyat: And on that note, Mommy and Daddy, thank you for sharing your thoughts on your favorite Nigerian foods and what it’s like to prepare them. It’s always good to find out more about one’s own culture…But, I still don’t know about those locusts beans!



Mutiyat Ade-Salu is a New York-based actress, singer, and writer. Get to know her perspective on being 1st Generation Nigerian-American at www.mutiyatspeaks.blogspot.com and learn about her new play at www.sunnycamehome2013.wordpress.com.