![]() |
| Copyright: Lauren Tobia. |
I recently began recording for an audiobook of an amazing children's series called Anna Hibiscus. It's author is a British Nigerian named Atinuke, but the series has gotten raver reviews here in the U.S.
When I found out in June that I had been chosen to narrate the series, I was ecstatic. Reading the ambitious adventures and early life lessons of Anna Hibiscus, (the young, Nigerian girl who is the series' protagonist) resonated with me so much. I was immediately familiar with the story's setting in an urban African city (also, in one of the stories, Canada!) and the large family environment she lived in. I took so much joy in switching between the varying accents of American English, Broken English, and West African. I got real comfortable when I came across Yoruba names and family customs, particularly the ones dealing with the respect of elders. What a surprise to come across a project like this: something I could so easily relate to, have fun with, and not to mention get well-compensated for. To top it all off, I even had the opportunity write music for it!
Pretty soon you'll be able to hear my melodies and narration on the recorded book of Anna Hibiscus , available at a library near you!
Curious to know what the series is about? Read on:
Book 1 - Anna Hibiscus Anna Hibiscus lives in amazing Africa with her mother, her father, her baby twin brothers, and lots and lots of her family. Join her as she splashes in the sea, prepares for a party, sells oranges, and hopes to see sweet, sweet snow!
Book 2 - Hooray for Anna Hibiscus! This is a collection of four linked stories about family life set in modern west Africa. Anna Hibiscus lives in amazing Africa with her family in a wonderful house in a beautiful garden in a big city. Join Anna as she sings for the president, gets in a terrible tangle with her hair and visits the other side of the city.
Book 3 - Good Luck, Anna Hibiscus! This title is the third in the series of delightful stories about Anna Hibiscus, a little girl who lives in Africa. Anna Hibiscus is looking forward to visiting her grandmother in Canada, where she will see snow for the first time! But before she goes, she must find suitable clothes to keep her warm in the cold winter weather, and say goodbye to the family she loves.
Book 4 - Have Fun, Anna Hibiscus! Anna Hibiscus lives in Africa. Amazing Africa. Anna Hibiscus has never been away from her home in Africa, surrounded by her parents and baby brothers, as well as all of her aunts and uncles and cousins. But now she is going to Canada to visit her grandmother for Christmas. She has never met Granny Canada and she can't wait to see snow! Canada is very cold and it takes Anna a little while to get used to wearing lots of clothes and eating different types of food. She also has to get used to Granny's dog, Qimmic. And though she misses her brothers and cousins, Anna soon makes lots of friends and has a wonderful time playing with them in the snow and celebrating Christmas with Granny Canada.
For more info on the must-read book series for young girls, its author, and illustrator, visit these links:
