Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Odyssey


T minus 3 months and 10 days until my most significant and longest trip to Nigeria yet. 


5 weeks. 5 weeks of experiencing vibrant weather, vibrant music, vibrant traffic, vibrant people, and vibrant history. Initially, I was to go for a cousin's wedding (that's usually the reason anyone outside of Nigeria goes there at the end of the year.) But, as it became more and more urgent for me to do the necessary research for one of my artistic endeavors as it relates to cultural identity, I had to extend my stay. And I'm glad I did. The journey will not be easy , but it will be rewarding beyond measure. I remember returning from my last trip to Nigeria in early 2010 and feeling a physical and spiritual change in who I was and what I stood for. I would be honored to continue the transformation.

In the next few months, I hope to bring you along on my process of preparation (with the occasional interlude of a completely different subject that cannot wait to be shared :)

Now, let me be clear. I am an American, born and bred. Nonetheless, as most of you hyphenated Americans know, it is an added treasure to acknowledge and explore one's roots. 

Here's to discovery in the deep end...