Saturday, June 11, 2011

A Different Kind of Nigerian

Yes.

I am a different kind of Nigerian.


I speak differently, I eat differently, I KNOW differently. And yet,

I am Nigerian.

I'm the Nigerian who's unusually soft-spoken and sensitive. But, I am also a lover of words and a good thorough debate that lasts until 3am. (The oratorical genes will never disappear.)

I'm the kind of Nigerian who likes to obey traditional customs and also challenges them. Simply because I'm different.
And I enjoy it:)

I enjoy being a hybrid with no box, category, or boundary. It makes me feel like I can fly and perch myself anywhere.Only God can tell me where to travel next!

We are all different, sometimes much more than we are willing to recognize. Our labels (chosen for us or by us) are only suggestive and never concrete. For, the day they do become concrete, we shortchange ourselves from seeing the full spectrum of our being.

I AM a different kind of Nigerian, born overseas, yet always cognizant of where my root came from. 

May my branches forever spread far and wide.